Thursday, May 17, 2012

Gardening 101

This summer we decided to grow our very own garden!  Since my dad is not doing one of his massive gardens this year I figured he would enjoy watching me battle my own. I have no clue how to grow anything, because I have never tried. There can be such thing as a fool proof garden, right?

First thing was where to put the garden. I needed it in the full sun, and out of the way. I figured I would use a space that has been painfully ignored and overcome with weeds and bushes next to our garage. I thought it would be a perfect place to put guttering up to collect rain for a rain barrel.  (Notice how I say, "I figured", and "I thought." Ha!)

Since we have been busy remodeling the inside of our house, we haven't had time to do anything on the outside. This is the first year I haven't been pregnant so I figured I would jump in with both feet!

This was after I started clearing out the weeds and brush. I forgot to take a picture of the complete before.

This is a picture of the brush pile I removed from the garden area.


It took 2 loads to remove it all!
We have the best neighbor in the world.  Thank goodness he has heavy equipment!

My awesome brother who has a massive garden in TN let us have his old tiller.

Planning where to put the garden was the easiest, preparing the garden was the hardest! After getting infected by Poisen Ivy from head to feet and being sore in places I thought was impossible,  I'm happy that that part is over!

Now that we have the first stage complete, stay tuned for the next blog about what is going in the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment